Saturday, December 24, 2011

Choosing between two amazing horses?

So my riding instructor has been helping me find a horse, and she found two amazing 4 foot jumpers for the same price...





Horse 1: 16.1 hand thoroghbred, 6 years old. He's schooled to the foot, with the capability to go to 4. He is very sweet when riding, he didn't try anything bad when I rode him. He's very quiet and smooth, the thing is that he still has things to learn.





Horse 2: 15.3 and a half sporthorse (dam is a thoroughbred x welshcob and sire is a saddlebred) has done 4 foot before, 12 years old, HUGE mover. He wouldn't excel in hunter rounds, as his average stride length is 14 feet, so he can't make the small distances. If you don't take charge, he will. I can be schooling over smaller fences with him, and this has happened before to other riders, he will decide it's boring and try something higher, like the arena fence. I think that he could teach me more, but we could also get into more fights.





I ve been riding all my life and am training an Arab, and jumping my quarter horse 3 foot. I've ridden both of these horses, they're both amazing, im just havin troubles deciding if I want the better personality or the one who will teach me more. I'm looking for a horse to start high hunter and jumper with, but mostly jumper as my quarter horse is amazing in the hunter ring. Any advice would help. Thanks!|||I think number one. He would be more of your friend and you would be much more of a team than you would be with number two. So what if he doesn't know everything? You can teach him and create a strong bond between the two of you.|||Id say go with #1. You only had good things to say about this horse, and he's very young. You said he still has things to learn but horses learn quick. Its better to have a good horse thats willing to learn than one you uave to fight with.|||My vote is for #1. He is bigger, he is younger, you don't have to fight him, you say. After the new wears off, a hard headed horse wears on you.|||I say horse #2 he is ready for the things you want to do and you can use him now. Some basic flat work and a break from schooling jumps should nip his pushiness in the bud. He sounds talented and workable for what you want now. The Thoroughbred is a big risk he maybe nice but he doesn't have the training and 2 years to finish him at 4 feet doesn't sound like it fits with your plan of competing in jumpers and high hunter. The 2nd horse for sure.|||It depends. You know number 2 can go 4ft. Number 1 has the "potential" which could be ruined at any time during his training. He's not finished so you're going to be spending a good 2 years properly building him up to added height before he's jumping 4ft unless you rush him.





Number 2 is finished in schooling and just sounds like he could use a few months off with some basic flat work to get him listening and collected to shorten his stride for the shorter courses. Within a few months of getting with him you could be jumping the 4ft with him.





So that is what it depends on. Do you want to be jumping 4ft now or 4ft in 2 years?|||kk

No comments:

Post a Comment