Saturday, December 24, 2011

My mule is too spooky, anybody that's dealt with half-arabs?

I've had a half-arab mule now for about 3 months, and he's still extremely spooky. He's 8 years old, and half Arabian. I've developed a close relationship with him, and he seems to trust me, as I do him. He's a great mule, and I really want to do more with ihm, but so far I've only been able to ride him in the round pen and in a small arena because the smallest things will make him freak out. We have him in a pen with another mule, and she's very calm, and things that bother him like birds and tihngs like that don't bother her in the least. At first I thought it was being in a new home and with new enimals, but nothing's changed recently, and he's still acting the same!! I've had people tell me that it's because he was Arabian in him, and that he won't outgrow it. I have been working with him, but it's not working as well as I'd hope.





He's fine saddling and isn't nervous about anything like that, and I've tried the desensitizing thing I've used with horses, and it doesn't seem to work.





He was supposed to be my dad's mule, but I seemed to bond with him and him with me, but when he spooks in the pen, I can feel him tense up, and it honestly makes me a little bt nervous. We will both settle into a rhythym again, but I don't like it.





He doesn't buck, and otherwise is a great mule who I trust as long as we're in an enclosed area like a round pen.





My uncle(a very experienced rider) has lead him with his horses, and he was still very spooky, and nearly got away from him. He has also ridden him, and the mule still hasn't gotten out of it.





My dad said if he isn't any better by the end of summer we have to seel him. I've grown attached to him.





I'm sorry this is long, but is there any hope for him??





Is it true since he's half-arab, he may not grow out of it??|||it is a MYTH that arabs are spooky





I had an arab mare she was so awesome (I had her since she was a foal.. I owned her mom too) anyhow she was so quite that at 4 years of age she was used in the riding program for disabled people - you know.. people who YELL, JUMP AROUND..and stuff.. that mare NEVER spooked!!





if you expect him to be nervous he will be nervous.. DO NOT make it an "ARAB" issue!





get a proper trainer to work with him|||Good Luck! In all of my experience Arabs have always been flighty no matter what we did. Becareful when you are around him and don't get hurt.|||Being half arab has NOTHING, to do wth behavior. I watched clinton anderson today work with a half arab mare that sounds a lot like your mule. It would be easier ust to give you a place where you can look at then me to explain the whole teqnique!lol Search sacking out, or spooky horses on youtube or go to clinton's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment