Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Thinking about switching stables...?

Ok, so I bought Jack(a 9y/o TB) about 3 months ago. He is the greatest horse ever, I'm not having any problems with him. He had been sitting for a while and now is building muscle and putting on weight nicely.





He is boarded at the place where I bought him from, the lady who owns the ranch had owned him for about 3 years, and she knows him very well. She's helped me make up a feed schedule and helped with slowly increasing it now that he's working alot.





The only thing is, the ranch is not exactally a showing/training barn. It is more for barrel horses, pole bending, trail riding, ect. I ride english equitation/pleasure. It is small, housing about 20-25 horses, but it is nice. But, the thing is with all the barrels, poles, ect. in the arena...me and jack can't do any figure 8's, serpentines, stuff like that without having to go around one.





The other stable is the same price, it has 3 arenas, 3 round pes, and 6 turn-outs. BUT, the people there don't know jack, jack doesn't know the new place, and i'm not sure if that would be a problem??





I'm kind of leaning towards switching, I mean it would be better for both of us I think. There was othing when we bought him that said we had to board him at her ranch...Any tips on getting him settled into his new home? He's kind of excitable, and can be a little dumb some times.





Ideas? opinions?


-Nicole+Jack =]





|||If you feel like its the best choice for both you and the horse go for it. Just be sure to give the place you are at not proper notice ( I would say at least a month or two) so they are prepared for the income loss and can look to fill your horses spot.





If you wont be trailering him to the new place yourself, make sure someone who is reputable is. Jack will take a while to get used to the new place and new horses, but he should make friends eventually. He will most likely be a little stressed the first few days, calling out for his "friends" but he will end up settling down.





When your horse gets to the new place, spend a lot of extra time with him so he knows that you are still there. You are something that will be familiar to him in a strange place. I'm lucky, whenever I move barns, my friend moves with me, so our horses always have someone they know with them.|||i would switch


if you want to do english you should go to an english barn


he will hav to adjust to the new place but he will eventually


and you could always call his past owner about him if something happens|||I had that same problem with my horse. I went ahead and switched him, he is doing just fine where he is and made some best friends! Do whatever you think is best though.||| I would switch. but when you switch just act the same as always and make sore he is going to same feed and anything he had at the old place i just moved my horse and she is doing great she was acting like she lived there her whole life after 2 weeks there. but good luck |||Horses and ponies are usually okay with switching. It will take a while for Jack to get used to the new barn, only because there is probably so many new horses. Introduce them one by one.





I would switch if I were you. Chances are, there will be tons of other english riders. You could ride together and make new friends, and so will Jack. ^_^ I switched barns because the owner of my old barn got really rude and nasty to me and started using my horse for lessons without my permission. And I found out...





So I just sold him to my friend who likes him and they're a great pair now, and I got a 5 y/o paint. I sold him, and got a 7 y/o pony who I love. I think I wanna buy back my paint to though...





haha, anyway, I'd switch. Same price, with three arenas, lots of other stuff.... Yeah, I'd say its worth it.





Good luck!|||Horses are very resilient. Move Jack to his new home. Allow him to settle into his new barn and absorb all the new sights for a day or so. The folks at the barn ought to know how to introduce a new horse into the herd so you should consult with them. Continue with his same feed for awhile. You can't reach your or his full potential at the wrong barn.|||Wow i am in the exact situation as you now. Anyways I decided that only for the show season, i am going to have my horse at the training one. In about June, my horse is going to come back to his old barn so we can do trail riding ect.


Just tell the owner of the barn you are at now that you want to get into showing, and it would be best to learn elsewhere, tell them that Jack will be coming back in a few months (even if you dont come back, it makes it sound better). Yes I know how impossible it can be when you are at a place that doesnt have what you are interested in.





Good luck'





~2htoohorse~

No comments:

Post a Comment