Saturday, December 24, 2011

Does anyone know of any good trust/bonding exercises for my horse and I?

I see a lot of answers to this question in response to the horse's training and behaviour, but it's really me that needs to gain my mare's trust, not the other way around. She was very green when we got her a few months ago, and I've had one of my coaches help to train her and she has come a long way in the last few months. I am a green rider myself and I want to be able to always have trust in my horse. I have fallen off of her many times in the past and it has hurt my confidence I think. I am aiming to do the 3' jumpers in the next few months and I want to be able to do it without the fear of her taking control.





At this point, she isn't neccessarily "green" anymore, she jumps anything you put in front of her and she walks, trots and canters when you tell her to, it's just that she can get a bit strong. Her buck is gone, but she thinks she's in control of the show.





We get along great on the ground, and I'm definitely the dominant one, but when it comes to riding, she takes control and I get nervous that I will get hurt. I need to get rid of this feeling for good. My coach always pushes us to do our best, but she never seems to help with the little things. And I find that doing the same repetitive things in an arena over and over again do nothing for my mare and I in terms of bonding and trust.





Any suggestions?|||The lady that taught me how to ride better and understand horses better told me this. Don't just get on a horse that is new to you, always spend hours brushing, talking to the horse and teaching the horse to follow you and when you know the horse trusts you then try to get on the horse. The first few days of riding at this ladies place I would just brush the horse and talk to the horse also.





After a while the horse would nug me and put it's head on my shoulders. So I am not going to say there is an exercise that will help you, the really bonding portion is grooming, feeding and everything on the ground.


Hope this helps sorry if it doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment