Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What is it in the horse world that drives you the most crazy?

For me it is when there are people who buy some horses then think they know everything about them. They brag about how they broke a 2 yr old and they train other peoples horses. I cannot stand it. So pretty





When me and my sisters looked at this Paint mare last yr the barn owner and trainer(apparently really good) was out at the barn while we where looking at this horse that was boarded there. He was riding a 2 yr old QH filly in a saddle that was WAY to big for the little thing(maybe 12.3 hh) and this guy was just on her trotting her around the arena with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, horrible seat, legs, everything was so off. He had on big spurs and so much extra training pieces that the horse shouldn't need if she was ground trained right. He was starting her in a shank bit with a curb strap tightly on her and using a martingale while at the same time he kept pulling hr head up when she would lower it





I was so mad, this guy walked around like he was king of horses! And the people who had the horse we where looking at didn't know much on horses and just listened to this guy and had a curb strap on the Paint, a martingale, and they didn't have any idea what they where for! How do you teach a horse if you don't know what you are doing! We took both of those off(with permission) when we rode her and she was so much smother and relaxed then where the owners daughter rode her with all of it on!|||People that use all the fancy gadgets (martingales, gags, side reins, draw reins, etc) and don't even know what they are doing. Most of them don't even need to be used, ever, let along with some idiot that barely even knows how to put it on.





Also people who don't seem to realize that horses are living, breathing animals, too. They get home late on a cold winter night "Ah heck, we'll just skip the feed tonight. I'm too tired... and it's cold out". Damn, let's skip your dinner too, and leave you outside! Let's see how you feel on a cold winter night on a hungry belly and a water trough with a thin layer of frost at the bottom.





And people that refuse to have the vet out. "My horse has barbwire wrapped around his legs and worms shooting out his butt, his hooves look like elve's shoes, and his bones are sticking out so far his hip bone jabbed me in the eye. He can't walk on his three legs (the fourth one got ripped off by a cougar last week) and his right eye is hanging along side his cheek by the optic nerve. Can I give him some ibuprofen?


Holy **** son, get that horse a vet!





And people bother me when they believe all the myths of the horse world, and refuse to change their ways. Like some the myths that go along with colic, and some of the misunderstandings that founder and laminitis are the same thing, etc.








I also have an immediate hatred for anyone who uses barbwire fencing.|||People who get on horses before they are 3, people who insist horses need shoes, grain and being in a stall. People who brutalize a horse and then say they "trained" it. People who don't want to learn anything new.|||People with no respect for the horse.


It's one thing to discipline them, it's another to beat them to a pulp.


And people who breed HYPP horses..makes me angry. :/|||That pretty much sums it up for me. The thing is, there's no "one way" to train a horse. I grew up with my grandpa being my only source of horsemanship for YEARS, then going out in the world as a teenager and being BLOWN AWAY at what some people were doing. Also learned later that everything I was taught was not necessarily the best way to do things either. Sometimes, you just have to let it roll off your back. I've pretty much got to the point where I don't offer people advice anymore unless they're begging me for it or I can foresee someone getting seriously hurt.





We recently sold a friend of mine's horse and one of the ladies who came to look and ride him pissed the horse off from the get-go. After listening to her gab on and on for 20 minutes about her lifelong work with Mustangs, and then watch her walk up to a completly strange greenbroke gelding and grab his...groin...I was pretty sure she was the dumbest person on the Earth.





Who does that?!





Obviously, he tried to kick her and then it was the horse's fault!





She got it in the end though. He bucked her off rodeo-style and I gave him extra treats with his dinner! HAHAHAHAHAHA|||i'm with you, people who think they're okay to get a horse when they're no where near ready. no experience, lack of funding, no knowledges. it's awful.





then there's the people that never come to see their horses. it makes me so upset. at my barn, about 1/3 of us come to see our horse. the rest don't even bother to come. If i wasn't at that barn, no one, i mean no one, would be checking on their horses. it was ME who found a horse nearly bleeding to death in the pasture. no one noticed. not the barn owner, no the owner, no one. the owner never comes out, so that horse could have died out there. who's checking to make sure their horse isn't hurt? who's checking to make sure they're eating? who's checking to make sure the horse is okay? it's so upsetting. i live at a barn where we do all the work ourselves, so the fact that no one comes out means the horses aren't getting care.





i medicate two people's horses for them, one never comes out, the other comes out to drop off her check and doesn't even look at her horse. she's out there about 20 seconds and leaves. both horses want out of the pasture bad. some horses are perfectly fine sitting in the pasture, no one bothering them. these horses want attention. both try to get out of the pasture when i go give them their medicine. its sad. they're good horses too. i wish they would sell them to someone who would pay attention to them %26amp; give them the love they need and deserve.





one of the ladies i medicate for had her horse for about 4-5 years before she found out a horse's sheath needs to be cleaned %26amp; teeth floated. the poor thing hadn't had either done in at least those 4-5 years.





then there's people who have the idea they need to use violence to get through to their horse. my BO (already an idiot) sent his horse to this one trainer. its a long story i won't get into, but i met the guy %26amp; my BO's old horse, and i felt so bad for it. he was showing you "just have to be physical with him". he said when the horse would do something wrong, he would gut kick him. when he showed us the horse could back up, he was smacking it hard. i felt horrible for it. the right training can do wonders for any horse. a horse doesn't need to be smacked to learn to back up.








then there's the people who think horses are nothing but machines. they get them out of the pasture, tack them up, ride them until they nearly collapse, and turn them out huffing and puffing, drenched with sweat. then they wonder why it takes them an hour to catch their horse.





and obviously, the people who refuse vet care for their horses. not having the money doesn't cut it. "ohh, i don't want to waste the money if it's not a big deal." yeah, key word there, IF. anytime a slight problem is realized, a vet needs to be called. it's only fair.|||People who refuse to educate themselves. But that's the whole world, not just the horse world. I'm the kind of person who does massive amounts of research when i'm curious about something, and i just don't get it when people can't do even a little bit of research about something that they should definitely know about.|||the people who pretend they know everything but know nothing at all. and when people talk crap about horses at school. they make me want to slap them across the face. but one time this kid last year said that he killed a horse at a slaughter house just to piss me off but slaughter houses had been illigal in the us 4 2 years(3 this year) and i asked him when he did it and he said one year ago and i was like well they became illigal in the us 2 years ago and if u actually did it you should be in jail. and then he admitted that he actually didnt do it. he just said that 2 piss me off haha|||once again it bothers me when people are such know it alls! Im a barrel racer and i was at a show.... this lady comes up to me (i have no idea who she is) she starts yelling at me for having the breast collar being too loose. Let me tell you, i have never had ANYONE tell me that its too loose at all! Then to top that off she starts to tighten my tie down!!! What is her problem!!?? She then told me to go and walk around to see how she does... My horse got VERY frustrated and tried to rear and was not happy at all! Im not the kind of person to say something so when she wasnt looking i loosened it. That day i was just so mad at that lady and i couldnt believe that! Not only she tightened down MY tiedown, but she went over to my friend too! My trainor then went over to her and said something but im not sure what.. She looked a little upset what my trainor told her but really? You just dont go mess up someones horse that you dont even know!! GEEZE!|||I hate it when people act like know it alls too!





Okay, so, I was at a barn where my aunt keeps her horse. I went with my aunt to check her horse out and ride her. As I was riding this lady who owns the whole barn and apparently knows everything about horses, walks up and starts talking to my aunt.


I trotted the horse over to them to say hi. After a few minutes my aunt said I could go ride some more. So the lady just looks at me and waits for me to leave, which, of course, makes me nervous. The horse decided to be stubborn and wouldn't move. The lady starts telling me how the horse is boss right now and the horse isn't taking me seriously. She starts telling me everything I'm doing wrong so I got mad. I then decided I was going to back this horse up ( She's still learning how to back up and she isn't very good at it ). I have a horse and know how to back up well so I did it on the horse. She listened perfectly. I shocked the lady. ;)|||i have to agree with you I have seen some trainers out there that are just ... umm WOW , yeah ok. if you say so .





i do train myself , but I do not solicite training services these are people who like what I have done with my horse and wish to replicate some of that for their horses.





I have sent some horses back simply saying I can't fix what the problem is and it is better to take your horse to someone else who may have another idea or a differant approach.





I had one mule that the tounge went over the bit i tried forever on her. and tried every thing plus contacted some of the top trainers in the country for their opinion. ...no luck





the one thing that did work a hacamore wasn't what they wanted because they wanted to show the mule in Houston.


albeit she had incredible inprovment during her time with me. she just wasn't a prospect. and I wasn't willing to spend a year of my life to work just their one mule.





i get some horses that need to be vetted and I am sure the problems will stop. but the owners don't want to pay the money for the vet instead they think it is a training issue. It all goes hand in hand.|||I hate it when people think that the only way to work a horse is to dominate it, and force it to do the things they want. They never take into consideration that the horse might be hurting or scared. They consider horses animals to be dominated- tools even. They call themselves "horsemen" and "horse-lovers" yet they never take the horse's well-being into consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment