Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What makes a True sports fan?

Well this is a copy of a note i posted on facebook, it is what me and my friends call the "constitution" of fandom. I wanted to see other non biased opinions of it and see if anyone could give me any "amendments" to it to make it better








Well I'm personally tired of explaining this to everyone I meet when I find out that they are ex: a Dallas cowboys fan (Dana who my cuz's bf) and yet have absolutely no offiliation with that team. I admit that I am a bandwagon fan of the 49ers, however that is from being raised as one, my dad has always liked the niners so I have as well as a side effect. Any ways this is my post explaining the rules of being a true fan, rules which myself, and the 2 Major brothers established in my sophmore year of high school. You will all find that the points are all very solid and that I am completely right in all the points I put up.





There is officially 3 things that determine a Bandwagon fan from a True fan


1) If the person or family member (immediate, only mom dad, sisters or brothers) attended the college, or played for the professional team are you allowed to call yourself a true fan, If your uncle or aunt went to the school you are not in this category.


2) You must have at least lived part of your life in the surrounding area by the team. EX: I am a Browns and Buckeyes fan, and was born an grew up part of my life in Cleveland OH. If you like the Cowboys and yet haven't even lived in Texas you are not a true fan (IF a parent lived there you may be an acception to this rule, but only a parent, no siblings, cousins or grandparents) also the parent that grew up there must be a fan of the team


3)This rule only applies with the other two and cannot be used without at least 1 or 2. You must have at least a basic knowledge of the team you like. EX: you gotta at LEAST name 11 players on your football team, doesnt matter if they start or play Offense or Defense, u just gotta name the players. Also to help your case it is advised (but not neccessary) to know the name of the teams field/arena EX:Packers play football at Lambeau





There is also a 4th rule but this rule is not enough to count you as a true fan unless you meet the requirements of at least (1 or 2) +3 included.





4) If your favorite player gets put on a team you are allowed too root for your team, however a true fan is not allowed to root for his players team if they are playing a team he already had a prior fan-obligation with. Example of that last sentence: If Kellen winslow (my favorite player) were traded to the Packers, I could root for the packers just b/c of him, however I am not allowed to talk smack if they beat some1 elses team and I cannot root for the packers if they are playing the Browns.


also I will provide an example of a perosn who only likes a team because of his favorite player :justin Walters is a SAints fan, however Big J, the only reason you are (or were) is because they drafted Reggie Bush.





This rule I developed after consulting with Grant Major. I call it the Mac Kelly rule. Apparently MAc is a Clemson fan, and since he lives in SC he is protected by the 2nd rule, however he has parents who are from South carolina and lives in Columbia (location of South carolina) So the rule goes:


Mac Kelly Rule or rule 5: you can root for any team in the state you live in as long as they are not playing your team at the time (ex: bengals playing the browns for me)


Also there is grant majors (give him full credit) 3 points regarding the Mac Rule:


1st: In college sports, The fan may only root for the school they go to, parents school or sibling school





2nd: If none went to a major college, didnt go to a major college, then you can choose one in the state.





3rd: If there are multiple major teams in a state, then you can choose one. If you flip-flop to another it is bandwagoning





Remember these rules, and dont you let me catch you bandwagoning or you'll get the verbal *** kicking of a life time people. Be a real fan not one who just follows the beat of the masses. Sides almsot everyone hates bandwagoners except bandwagoners themselves





I'd like to give credit to the people who helped me develop these guidelines


Grant Major


Timmy Major


Donald Shaffer


Justin Walters


|||Good set of rules for someone trying to define a true fan (I have no preference on who wins or loses, so long as it's a good game.)





You might also want to keep in consideration that being a temporary fan of an uncommon team "is allowable" if their win will put your favorite team in a better standing overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment