Saturday, December 24, 2011

No indoor arena, exercises in snow?

hello, i live in canada, therefore there is a lot of snow. unfortunately, we don't have an indoor arena, making winter riding quite difficult. I own 2 horses, one is my 4 year old dressage mare and the second is my 3 year old show jumping mare. I am running out of ideas of things to do at my barn since there is ice in the center of the ring.





do you guys have any ideas of things that i could do to make my mares work but at the same time make me NOT bored of going round and round?





thanks in advance!!|||I live in Canada too--my arena is 5 feet under snow in the shallowest parts! Urgh! I live right on Ontario's snow-belt!





I use one of the pastures as they arent as deep in snow because the snow can blwo away and I just ride around in circles--trying making patterns in the snow--like Snowmen and hearts and different shapes...it works on the horses flexion and your cues (especially if you try to do it just with leg pressure or weight shifting..)|||you can ride in the snow.|||Ride in the snow...go down the road. I used to have to do it all of the time in Kansas, getting ready for the early March shows. Makes you both tough.|||Maybe you could trailer them to an indoor to get some riding in.


I don't think riding in snow is very safe. I did once when it first started snowing but nothing was slick and i knew my horse was safe.|||-Work on transitions.





-Go on a trail ride(if possible)





-Work on collecting and extending stride





-Work over poles and caveletti.|||im sure you already have but:





lots of leg yeilding


ground work


transitions





the winter is a great time to brush up on your basic skills, so work on





relaxing


breathing


stopping w/o reins





you can also:





teach voice commands


learn to get on bareback from the ground


teach tricks


collection work





i know you want to excersize them, but it is better to take it easy (obviously you already know that) but i would just do alot of brushing up for me and the horse with the walk and collection.|||Well, sometimes you've just can't ride. I live in Maine, so I know all about lots of snow. My suggestions are to





1. get shoes with studs or something similar so your horse can have better traction





2. trailer your horse to a place with nice footing








3. go for a nice, easy walking/trotting trail ride and find a flat field to work in





I would also say not to ride on the roadways, as cars often stop suddenly when they see a horse and, as you know, they can't stop on slippery roads and its just dangerous





If you can safely ride in a pen (which you can, and do) then you should be fine doing lots of stuff there, such as transition work, collection, turns, flexion, bending, responsiveness, all the stuff that a dressage or jumper horse needs to be sharp on. Be careful of the ice in the center, keep an eye on your horses feet and legs (if the snow is crusty, it will cut them) and just use common sense.|||You Could Lunge Them, Loose School, You Would Have To Be Carefull If Its That Deep With Lunging Though.|||Hey, I'm also a Canadian. I understand what you mean by cold haha. Well the place I am at has a indoor arena. But trail riding is lots of fun when it's warmer-ish. Like even just riding in a pasture or some type of field. Fortunately, theres tons of trails in the woods where I board at. You can also do some fun stuff with your horses. Teach them tricks, groom them, do groundwork(i.. lunging). Even just hang around the field/paddock.|||I live in Canada to and now just how difficult it is to ride in the snow so I hope this helps some!


I like to ride into any neighboring fields and go trotting. A long trot is a great exercize and its a change for both you and your horses. Also short run if its not too cold(haha ya right) is really fun. Don't worry about the deep snow if you feel its unsafe just slow down your pace. Everytime you ride your horse it dosn't neccasarily mean they have to go for a big workout it fun for them when your not bored because that will also tranfer to your horse. Just relax and go for a quiet ride. Good Luck hope I helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment