Saturday, December 24, 2011

Starting Western? Kinda confuzzling but please read!?

I've been riding English for 5 or 6 years now. I walk, trot, and canter. I know my diagnals and I'm learning leads, plus I jump 2'. I love English and I can sit most bucks and bolts (by that I mean I don't get thrown off! lol). I consider myself intermediate. My barn closes every winter, and last winter I rode at another English barn. However, I want to get good at English and Western (Versatality! Woohoo! lol). So, I'm doing Western this winter. So here's my questions. I've heard that English to Western is easier than Western to English because English is "harder" in that the position of the rider is different, we post the trot, and other things like that. Is this true? Also, because I ride English, I have an English helmet, English gloves, breeches, jodphurs, English boots, and half chaps for riding. What should I wear for Western? Obviously the helmet, but what else? Should I wear jeans instead of jods/breeches? My area in NY is pretty much all English, so it's hard to find Western stuff (i.e., boots, gloves, etc.) I know that I'll be riding "english in a western saddle" for a while, so does anyone have any tips for me? (I'm coming back to english in the spring, western will just be a winter thing.) Also if anyone knows of any Western barns on Long Island, that would help! So any tips would be really appreciated. Oh and I rode western about 3 times, (excluding pony rides when I was little lol) but it was only a trail ride type thing. I stayed in the arena. And if I'm a good english rider, do you think I'll move along quickly in western? Sorry for so many questions lol! Thanks guys!


~horseofcourse17|||Riding is riding is riding is riding. Look, the things that will change are, longer stirrups, this allows for better position when riding. If you think you have been on a bucking horse, while riding english, then you may get a surprise. Plus western horses move laterally, faster and differently than english. So the longer stirrup is there to help you stay on. I have seen a cutting horse move out from under the rider(a good rider), and leaving him there like a cartoon character. Posture is the same except only one hand on the reins. The reason for this is it leaves your other hand free to, rope, grab a gun etc. Western rides with a very loose rein, if you try to get a western horse ''on the bit'' he may buck you off. No matter what people will tell you, you are more secure in a western saddle than an english saddle. The reason for this is western saddles are built to work and train in. They are built to take tough terrain, and rough where as well as a bucking horse, because these may all happen in a days work.





Now for what to where this is wear western is more relaxed, Just wear jeans, boots. You don't need gloves unless you are going to rope. If you don't feel safe with out a helmet, keep wearing it. If not just where a hat.





Again like I said riding is riding is riding. If you look at top competitors in western you will see many similarities in how they ride.


|||For clothes just wear jeans and your english boots (if they are short) and a helmet. I'm not sure about barns in your area. Good luck!|||Indeed English is easier to go to western than western to english because of balance. in english you use more muscles in your legs to keep balance. I to ride both mostly western though but when I switch back to english I actually ride bareback more to get my muscles use to it again. Western is much easier thatn english so you should have no probs with that. Also if you are riding in the winter and are not very much of a winter person Ilike me I too have an indoor ring but it's still cold inside so I ride with a pair of breeches ect; and my jeans along with gloves boots don't really matter as long as they arn't the boots that go to your knees. and yes you will do well once you get use to the saddle. The saddles are very different and it takes time to get use to it took me a few lessons to get use to the western saddle when I first started. I'm from NJ so sorry but can't help you with the barn thing though. |||Ive done the same thing, it just depends on what type of English. if you are ridding hunter jumpers it will be harder than if you are ridding dressage. a good western position can be very much like a good dressage one.


I'm on the west coast, so I cant tell you what they wear on the east, out here they even where jeans even in dressage lessons.


the only tip I can give you is to watch out for the horn. you cant lean forward in a western like you can in a english!|||Its good you have so many questions it shows that your really dedicated, but heres what ive put together for western riding for myself, 1. Jeans work great!! but make sure there not to tight to where you cant bring your leg to the stirrup.





2. In my experiance you dont really need gloves, because most reins are nylon.





3. COWBOY BOOTS ARE YOUR FRIEND!!!! lol, but its true, theyre a life saver if your horse bolts on you.





4.Just learn to relax in the saddle, with my expieriance, Western is more safe because the saddle comes up more, so your legs dont need to squeeze as hard|||the transition should be easier. a western saddle holds you in more, and if it has a rough-out leather seat, you definitely won't slip and slide around. just wear "street clothes" i guess for western, except wear your boots and helmet. the gloves don't really make a difference. you can post if you want, i'm sure most western riders do, except in shows of course. you should be just fine riding western for a few months. don't bother yourself buying western boots/ helmet unless you're gonna show (then also buy western wear).|||Fist off all yes western is easier than english it is easier to balance. As for what to wear i would wear jeans and any shirt is fine i just wear a tanktop in the summer and a shirt and sweatshirt in the winter. as for shoes get either some boots or some tie up boots





I have these ones


http://www.sheplers.com/womens/distresse…





you could also get ones like these


http://leathercatalog.net/images/bm9117l…


or


http://www.horsemall.com/images/prod/TR1…





The difference between english and western is we sit in the saddle when we trot and canter the only time we post is when we do a fast trot


like this


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNUCdXGxp…





and by the way you dont need gloves|||overalls n' coboy boot pardner!


lol ywill do fine western is E Z|||wear jeans





dont worry about the helmet unless you get really into it





try to sitt the trot|||Wear what is comfortable, except the english boots are inappropriate for western riding. If you have something shorter through the leg, it will do.


When you say you are taking western lessons, are they just basic equitation? If so , the major difference will be in the depth of your seat and the length of leg, and angle of your hip joint when you ride. Diagonals are not an issue in western riding. Being able to sit the trot will replace that. You will not have your stirrups to rely on for balance, and you will possibly be required to neck rein, so you will not have your two hands balanced at either side of the pommel to balance your upper body. The way you were trained in the first place will determine how difficult or easy the transition is.


Many jumping programs rush into jumping positions, etc. while ignoring basics of horsemanship that are grounded in basic dressage and learning how to use your seat and legs, leg yields, impulsion, and collection before advancing to jumping.


So, depending on whether your english training is founded in the basics of horsemanship and principles of dressage, or has been focused only on jumping, the transition may be easy for you, or a whole new education.


Since you say you have ridden for six years and are just now learning leads, I am guessing that your training has not been founded in basic horesmanship. Leads are taught when you first begin to canter. If you have been cantering without knowing your leads, your education has been backward.


This is not your fault....I see it all the time. And I think that with your willingness to try different approaches to riding, you will do just fine with this.|||It is a lot easier to go from english to western. I did it the hard way and went from western to english. All you need to wear is jeans and boots. You still have to post a trot but you don't have to get in the position to jump at all what so ever in western. I think you'll move along very quickly. It took me but 2 days to jump my horse and myself neither experienced except for me but only 1 day. So you'll probably learn alot faster since it's easier.|||Oh, Okay! Jeans will work! But make sure they are not to tight, they have to go over your boots! A little heel on the boots, don't get spurs till you are more experienced with the Western style.





I noticed with my Western horse, he is easier to ride if you put him in the round pin for a little bit, just running around the outside with his head down, It makes him more focused.





I think you will do just fine. Western is a lot easier!|||Well, I am just now switching saddles! I'm going from Western to English and in Western you can wear jeans with something that has a small heel.

No comments:

Post a Comment